Senior Software Engineer
Scripted, Inc. - San Francisco, California - Online Marketplace
January 2014 - July 2015 (1 years 6 months)
Scripted.com -- Content Writing Services On Demand
- Public and private RESTful API endpoint design and authorship
- Domain modeling
- End-to-end HTTP request testing
- Extraction of business logic from existing Rails code
- Work breakdown, estimation, and planning
- Application performance monitoring, trend analysis
- Manage abusive HTTP requests
Google - Mountain View, California - Marketing and Advertising
August 2012 - October 2013 (1 years 2 months)
a division of Google,
is one of the world's largest social media marketing software providers, with
over 21,000 paying customers worldwide, including 30 of the worlds 50 most
valuable brands. Wildfire's Social Marketing Suite combines best-of-breed social
promotion and advertising software, robust mobile and desktop page management,
messaging and sophisticated real-time analytics in one complete platform.
- Manage, coach, and serve a team of web developers in a Scrum start-up environment.
- Engineering owner for the Wildfire Dashboard and Monitor analytics products.
- Assist in Agile team planning, estimation and tasking, work breakdown; uncover unknowns and risk.
Web Development Manager
Dominion Enterprises - Norfolk, Virginia - Marketing and Advertising
May 2010 - July 2012 (2 years 3 months)
- Lead and support a team of 9 developers to build first generation cloud services.
- Solve scaling issues of code complexity and team size. Use SOA to partition and expose resources as JSON REST APIs.
- Develop test-driven, mulit-tenant SaaS web applications to run on the Heroku PaaS ecosystem. Reduce overhead of system admin tasks, increase developer productivity, ship features and products faster.
- Provide coaching in TDD, Agile, Scrum, Ruby on Rails, Analytics, Data Visualization, Github, RSpec, Capybara, Resque, Redis, Websolr/Sunspot.
- Represented the company at several local college campuses, developer meetups, and social functions.
- Founder of company Hackathon culture.
- Managed, trained, and coached new SQA and Technical Support teams,
increasing product quality across several heterogeneous web systems.
- Wrestled large amounts of "dirty" data out of diverse systems to create
data visualizations in R. Scatter and time-series plots used to surface
hidden problems and trends.
- Define and develop dashboard KPI's to support executive decisions.
Web Developer III
December 2006 - June 2007 (7 months)
- Authored PHP ORM library based on Fowler's Mapper design pattern. Improved
isolation of business logic, reduced cost of change, increased developer
Northrop Grumman - Newport News, Virginia - Defense &am;
October 2003 - December 2006 (3 years 3 months)
- Newport News Shipbuilding Employee of the Months (out of 18,000 employees)
and recipient of 2 challenge coins from Commanding Officer,
USS Carl Vinson for software development innovation.
- Extended and scaled mission-critical database from 100 to 450 users.
Migrated departmental legacy NT 4.0 domain infrastructure to Server 2003
Active Directory Services. Scripted common admin task: Active Directory
account creation, LDAP integration. Wrote custom monitoring utilities:
network performance, process audits and change tracking logs.
USS Dwight D. Eisenhower
Reactor Department, Reactor Propulsion Division
January 1994 - May 1998
- Supervise and operate two 500-MW Westinghouse pressurized-water reactors.
Ruby gem to serialize, format, and visualize Google Spreadsheet data
shared by Agence France-Presse.
Ruby gem for real-time public transit bus location data. Software developed
during a Code for
America hack-a-thon, in partnership with the City of Norfolk, Virginia.
Worked with public transit employees and SME's to obtain knowledge and elicit
requirements. Awarded pass to ride public transit free for one year.
8,978 downloads as of July 2015
Old Dominion University
US Naval Nuclear Power School
Technical, Nuclear Engineering
2013-2015 Palo Alto Little League Volunteer Coach
- Provided an environment that allowed neighborhood children to learn the
game of baseball in a fun an inclusive format. This includes modifying
rules and expectations to match age and skill.
- Ability to calmly herd and focus twelve 10-year olds after a full day of
Bird watching, mobile phone photography, radar, weather, solar energy, human rights,
baseball, biking, chili peppers, craft beer, warm sunny weather.